Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Core Drilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

123Chris456

Aerospace
Sep 17, 2024
US
Hi all. A note ahead: I am a mechanical engineer, not civil/structural.

We have a single family home in Central Florida. 1-story building. New construction according to local wind proofing/hurricane codes. All outer walls are made of blocks 15.5" x 7.5" x 7.5" (see image: ). Every few feet there is vertical rebar inside the blocks for wind proofing. Inside walls and attic are wood frame. Roof attached with hurricane straps.

The outer, load-carrying, wall is about 9 ft high and we are considering to core drill a 3.5" (90 mm) hole at about 7.5 ft height (for an additional mini-split A/C). I did a test drilling into a single block from the garbage dump, and it seems that quite some of the concrete inside the block will break away when drilling. We may also need some test drilling with smaller drill bits (8 mm) in the area of the main hole to identify where the block sides are (no longer visible), to avoids them. So the actual area affected may be larger than the hole itself.

Would you recommend us to consult a structural engineer for this, or is this fairly standard and unproblematic? It's a round hole, so that make the stress distribution around it more favorable. But I don't know about concrete and safety margins in constructions. The home is meeting local windproofing/hurricane standards, so in addition to pressure from the building weight there might be significant suction from the roof (via hurricane straps) or wall side loads in a storm.

Also, our home is under warranty from the builder and we don't have any specific fine-print what we are allowed to do and what not. Would you reasonably assume that a hole of this size would usually void the warranty in case it develops any cracks in the wall later on? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion on this forum, but I wouldn't waste your money getting a structural engineer involved.

If you can locate where the reinforcement is and avoid drilling through it, that is probably your only concern (structurally). You should be able to hire a rebar scanner and figure it out yourself.

As for the warranty issue, I have no clue about that.

Stay away from the rebar and the edges of the wall and it will be fine.

In my experience the contractors who install split systems don’t form round holes.

Like others have said avoid rebar to get warm and fuzzy feelings. Realistically you could probably drive a small car through the wall and be fine… well maybe not that extreme but a small hole won’t even matter.

Thank you all. @Tomfh , What would you say is the minimum distance we need to keep from the edges of the wall? Both to the top (hurricane straps/roof structure), and to the side (window)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back