Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Corner rebar detail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG1

Coastal
Feb 14, 2024
US
I am sure that I am over thinking this corner detail. The footing has multiple bars,I understand the basic idea to tie the inside bar to the outside bar with L bars doing 90s, i am drawing a blank with how to connect the other 6 bars in the corner.Would u bars work better in this application, or is there not enough room for error/ working in the field with the relatively congested detail.
Screenshot_20240214_081315_Word_i4yjzh.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jerseyshore…

Along the same lines, I tell young engineers the following: "We prepare plans and specs for our own amusement. The contractor builds whatever he d*amn well pleases."

Fortunately, I have experienced relatively little contractor free-lancing over my 43-year career. I have colleagues who haven't been so lucky. My worst example was perpetrated by the underground utility subcontractor working for the site civil prime contractor* for a 5,000-bed state prison in California. The subcontractor freelanced the installation of about 1/3 of the site sewer collection system, changing pipe and manhole invert elevations at will because of imagined conflicts with other underground utilities. The State's inspectors didn't catch it because they were too lazy to measure from manhole rim to invert with a tape. The site civil contractor was the one who brought it to our attention after he reviewed the results of the "as-built" survey he was required to provide. Some of the sewer lines were laid too flat and some were laid to adverse grades. Only a little bit of the freelanced work was hydraulically acceptable, even though it was not per plan. Said subcontractor ended up removing and reinstalling several dozen manholes and something like 1.8 miles of 4" to 15" sewer mains.

* This project had about a dozen prime contracts, including site civil, wastewater treatment plant, and numerous building packages.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

JeffG1 said:
This question is as simple as how to transition the interior 6 bars(purple lines)through the corner. I will use the corner U bars.

The question is anything but simple. And that's your fault owing to the fact that you never bothered to tell us enough about your structure for anyone to be able to help you meaningfully. Is this a moment resisting footing? Just gravity? Are the bars that you're concerned about primary flexural bars or just temperature and shrinkage?

In my opinion, the corner U bars are ridiculous for this situation at 6' wide across the U:

a) the bars will have no stress in them at all anywhere near the middle of the flat of the U and;

b) by discontinuing the bars between the U bars as you have, you set yourself up for some big temperature and shrinkage cracking needlessly.

JoelTXCive said:
Koot would probably like it if he were here.

I liked it enough that I saved it for future use. To some extent I respect the clear detailing irrespective of whether or not it's technically correct. It's quality presentation.

Truly, however, I don't feel that the fanning bars need to be primary structural reinforcement, even in a retaining situation, per the first sketch below.

So long as the bars in question are T&S, I favor the layout shown below. Dirt simple and should provide plenty of crack control across the knuckle.

c01_llcndj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back