Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct a FEM solid simulation software (solidworks simulation) to take in account convection

Status
Not open for further replies.

adgirard

Mar 5, 2013
NL
Hello everybody,

I am using SolidWorks Simulation (FEM) and I would like to conduct some simulation involving thin layers of air (60 mm) and natural convection. As the software is not Solidworks Flow (FVM), I think it will not give very good result because it understands air as a solid, and then only take conduction into account. How can I deal with the software to modelize the heat transfer due to convection, even if the convection will be very few. Do you think it is interesting to do this? Will the result be more accurate?
Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's not necessarily impossible. You could manipulate the convection equations into a pseudo-conductive form and treat that thickness as a conductor.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thank you!

Can we modify the equation in Solidworks?
If you have any information about the mathematical purpose, I would be thankful as well.

For Solidworks questions, you might have to post over in the Solidworks forum: forum1183. This is a little tricky, since we don't know what your other program is, or how it works, or what you're doing with it. Maybe in that forum you could be more specific and the people that use Solidworks can tell you how to actually model things.

Want to know the do's and don'ts of Eng-Tips? Read FAQ731-376.
English not your native language? Looking for some help in getting your question across to others or understanding their answers? Go to forum1529.

I'm not suggesting mucking with the program, but rather, changing the properties of the material (air) to have a different thermal conductivity

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back