Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Correct air intake pipe size for 4x4 snorkel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMcRally

Automotive
Aug 17, 2007
AU
On a Porsche Cayenne twin turbo, it makes around 500 flywheel horse power.4.8l V8 X 7,000rpm red line

I want to run 2 independent snorkels, each snorkel will be just under 2m from air box to open end.

I'd like to keep the ID to the smallest commonly available size but I don't want a restriction.

Is there a simple formula I can use ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unwelcome is not an engineering term.
An additional intake pressure drop on a turbocharged engine is less detrimental to power than the same pressure drop on a NA engine.

je suis charlie

I believe my statement to be generally true but there may be specific examples for which your statement is true eg a turbocharger sized to operate at its choke limit or overspeed limit at maximum power (neither would be a sensible turbo match). In either of these cases the power loss will be about the same as NA.

Engine running at its EGT limit would be another example - again an extreme case where the operating point is at the edge of the envelope.

je suis charlie

In addition to the above,
Knock margin/limit
Maximum cylinder pressure limit
piston/top ring thermal limits
compressor surge margin
ignition system secondary voltage margin
fuel system margin

Any or several of these limits/margins may play a role in a highly optimized application. Adding intake or exhaust restriction will subtract from the margin or require a tuning compromise to respect the limit.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

what will influence air flow more than the exact size of the pipes is: air filter restriction, restrict. of an add-on offroad filter, sharp turns in the pipes, exact configuration of the openings (its easier to suck air out of a pipe than you might think), what else? unless you use something like a vacuum hose any effect will be within the measuring tolerance of a din/en dyno (2%) for sure.

you can also look at the size of the turbo entries, ad 30% of area for good measure and go from there. what you want to avoid is messing up the maf signal, leave at least 10" of original ducting before the maf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back