Correct name for a specific design of electric machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

murpia

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2005
GB
Hi,

I thought this might be a good place to ask a question about a specific design of electric machine.

Trying to search online for information is difficult if you don't know the right terminology. For example, I could not easily search for information on matrix converters until I knew they were called matrix converters...

The design I am interested in would consist of a stator or stators with both an internal and external rotor. Therefore having two shafts. Mechanical power transmission can then be done between the two shafts at differing speeds & torques, modulated electrically.

This is similar to a coupled generator-motor arrangement but more compact.

Does this arrangement exist and if so what would it be called so I can do some more research?

Thanks, Ian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two shafts, one inside the outer?

The airplane engine community has tried for that for about 90 years, and have succeeded only once. (Tu Bear contra-rotating props work fairly well. The rest have failed to perform reliably.)

Something similar to this arrangement is used in the rotary UPS systems manufactured, for example, by Anton Piller and Eurodiesel. In their design a high-mass rotor rotating at a speed corresponding to twice line frequency is used as an energy store. During a power interruption the stored energy is delivered to a synchronous machine and keeps that machine rotating at a near-constant speed. The energy store provides sufficient ride-through time to allow a diesel engine to start and accept load. Have a look at for a summary. There's a link to an animation near the bottom of the page.

It seems like you may be describing an eddy-current clutch or coupling, also called a magnetic coupling or drive. An EC clutch has an input rotor, and output rotor with a variable DC magnetic field produced either by a stator or by a coil in one of the rotors energized through slip-rings. They are not used much anymore because they are inefficient, but they are pretty rugged and the control unit is simple. I believe that the same thing has been done using variable-position permanent magnets.

This is the successor company to the company that introduced them in the 1930's.

CJC

Just a quick thanks for the info, the term 'eddy current' clutch / coupling / drive is what I was looking for.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back