Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Correct placement of critical dimension symbol (inspection symbol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davbargo

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2012
US
I have a question regarding the correct placement of critical dimension symbols (aka inspection symbols) relative to the dimension it is associated with: Is it incorrect to place this symbol between the dimension value and the dimension line that points to the feature? or does the dimension value always have to be adjacent to its dimension line. For example, if the inspection symbol is <4>, and the dimension line is on the right of a R.250 radius, would it be incorrect to have R.250 <4> -------->
(where ---------> is the dimension line)? Would the same be true for inserting a note symbol (that points to a note on the drawing)? Also, is this listed in any drafting standard?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are standards for critical features, though these tend to be more safety related from my understanding.

I'm not aware of a national/industry standard for specifically critical dimensions, and certainly not one that goes into detail about symbol placement etc.

<
Some might argue that putting this information on drawing violates the intent of ASME Y14.5M-1994 section 1.4.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back