Correctly Modelling a Composite Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave442

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2008
IE
Hi all,

I need to model a thick cylinder which is seperated into three individual layers each of which has different material properties. We are assuming that the layers are bonded and that each of the materials is isotropic.

My problem is that I'm unsure how to model a single part in ANSYS that consists of different materials.

Can I simply draw the cylinder with three seperate layers and use the VATT command to alter the material properties in each layer before meshing? I have seen this done in thermal tutorials but I'm unsure how ANSYS deals with nodes at the interface between two different materials?

Or do I need to define some kind of interface or contact between the individual layers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Best thing to do would be to ensure the three volumes (one for each layer) share areas at their interfaces. Volumes that share areas in Ansys will also share nodes since each will have nodes common to that one area.

You could use bonded contact if they volumes have their own distinct areas at interfaces but this would be a shoddy way of setting the problem up.

Hi Stringmaker,

Thank you for repying. I had set up my model as you recommended and I seem to be getting accurate results. I was just a little confused about how ANSYS dealt with this sort of thing. I did a bit of reading and understand it better now.

Many thanks!
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back