Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

correlation for subcooled boiling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardiyansyah

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2006
KR
Hi, i am ardi,
I am looking for applicable correlation for subcooled boiling heat transfer, if anyone can give me the source viz. journal, link, I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
have a good day,
ardi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sub cooling and super heating are states beyond the saturation point. sub cooling being any temp below saturation and super heat being any temp above saturation. While things boil they do not change temp or pressure. A liquid with any percentage boiling will not change temp. The temp can only change after saturation. The energy required to change state is called the latent heat of vaporization/solidification. It is usually much higher than the specific heat of the substance. I.e. water has a specific heat of 1BTU its latent heat of vaporization is 970BUT's and solidification is 144BTU's. Hope this helps.

Try the "international journal of multiphase flow" in the period 1985-1995 , articles by KWU siemens authors Wittchow, Hein, Koehler, kiefer, based on their test rig in Erlangen.

The bottom line is they recommend that the Kon'Kov correlation be used for DNB, and Doroshuck correlation is used for film boiling/ dryout. These are based on vertical smooth bore tubes, heated around the full circumference.

For inclined tubes and/or tubes heated on only one side, they also provide correction factors. Likewise , they provide hints on how to calculate CHF in ribbed/rifled tubes, but the full correlation is proprietary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back