Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Allowance 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiwa7777

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2010
CA
Hi Fellows,
We have issued a purchase order for a ASME U stamped pressure vessel. Specification states that SI units shall be used.

Vendor has provided calcs in imperial units with a corrosion allowance of 1/8". We have specified a corrosion allowance of 3.2 mm in purchase order.

Vendor replies that 1/8" CA is acceptable for 3.2 mm as 1/8" is imperial equivalent of 3.2 mm.

Owner is not accepting this as Owner says that 1/8" is not equivalent to 3.2 mm as 1/8" = 3.175 mm which is less than 3.2 mm.

Please provide your thoughts.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This kind of thing is often how an entity avoids paying for a vessel. After enough paperwork and back and forth among the parties, this issue will be settled in one way or another, and an equally insigificant issue will be found to take its place.

Regards,

Mike

I'm too young to remember, but I've been regaled about the good old days when customers would visit a fabricator's shop, meet the engineers/salespeople, inspect the facilities, view projects in process, review the quality program and meet quality personnel.

Business was done with a handshake, and if there were clerical, or actual quality issues, they were resolved without a customer holding payment hostage in order to get service.

We had a customer last year request a $750.00 credit for "engineering time" because we submitted a U-1 form with a typo on it: we listed a 14" nozzle when the approved drawing, as built drawing, and actual unit had the correct 12" nozzle. I wonder if it was the same guy who says 1/8" will not work for 3.2mm.

-TJ Orlowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back