Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Corrosion effects and Oxidation Depths of existing steel structures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iengineerstuff

Structural
Aug 4, 2021
US
I have recently inspected a building, that has severe corrosion effects, and it got me thinking. Are there specified code limits for oxidation depths? I have read a few articles about the rust of enclosed sections (box girders, hss members, etc.) but I am dealing with w/h columns in a braced frame. This is a pretty old manuf. building so I am not surprised to see this level of corrosion. Will have to cut out and replace section. But does any have an good sources for these corrosion effects, and a limit to the rust/oxidation depth? Thanks for your help and your time!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For some work I did on the floodway here a few years back, I wrote a spreadsheet that calculated the new section properties of a steel section with a uniform reduction in thickness... Corrosion is often local, and can be severe in some places. I'm not aware of any codes that address this; it's a matter of engineering judgement to determine if parts are adequate or need remedy.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back