Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Corrosion from Road Salts 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Is SS316 better than SS304 for corrosion when subject to road salts? Is there a better material that is reasonably inexpensive?

Thank, Dik

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the added info and anecdote...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Does anyone have a good reputable source for threaded fiberglass rod? I'm thinking if MgCl2 is being used that I'd just use threaded rod with Hilti 200 V3 adhesive. I would not use the SS Hilti HIS anchor. Any comments?

-----*****-----

-Dik

McMaster-Carr is a start. They have the rods and the nuts. Highest price but also highest convenience. Info on their website is sparse but they are very responsive to emails and will provide manufacturer's information quickly on request.

In marine applications we are expected to use metallic fastenings periodically along the wire run so our raceways don't turn into electrified spiderwebs during a fire. In this case you may want to use one monel hanger for every 5-10 fiberglass hangers.

I notice that they don't have load capacities for the rods. I sent them an eMail requesting sustained load capacities. The conduits are fiberglass 2-1/2" ducting carrying fiberoptic cable. Loads on all hangers will be less than 100lbs. I'm not aware if these have to be grounded.

-----*****-----

-Dik

The resin is going to a consideration. Polyester, vinylester, and epoxy are the standards. Epoxy performs the best. Polyester has some issues with moisture absorption. If you want epoxy and can't get it, you can buy Garolite rods and machine it similarly to metals.

Garolite is the Cadillac of pre-formed epoxy shapes. I even have a kitchen set with Garolite handles [lol]

PXL_20231130_034635848_s1vbco.jpg

Thanks... I'll let the 'other' guy know and leave it to him to decide... He's actually a really good electrical engineer... he'll know, and may have already considered that.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks Mint... my query included that...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back