Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Inhibitor on Ground Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenAlmon

Electrical
Apr 12, 2002
CA
I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with application of corrosion inhibitors on ground connections. There appear to be two main areas: one being to prevent the bolt from corroding and the other area to assure electrical continuity across two faces.

The issue that I raise is complicated by the issues of copper mating with SS (cable tray) or Aluminum etc. It seems some "ground" connectors are made of a copper alloy; does this mean that they have a wide compatability to a variety of materials wiithout any additional treatments?

Finally, there is probably an issue as to whether the product is used outside in a marine environment (offshore oil & gas platform) versus inside a "clean" electrical room.

Products that I know about that have been used in these circumstances are Burndy Penetrox A, A13 and E (in copper or zinc particulate formulations), T & B Kopr-Shield, and CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor 06026.

Any advice/experience towards correct application of these products would be appreciated. I have some calls into mfgrs as well.

Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kopr-shield and Penetrox are more or less equivelant. They are anti-oxidation compounds containing a suspension of metal powder. I'm not familiar with the CRC product. They are both intended for application on the contact surfaces to prevent oxidation and minimize resistance. I have used both with success, but not in extremely harsh environments.

Suggestion: Simply opening the connector and applying an electrically compatible corrosion inhibitor will repair most connector failures.

When fixing ss tray work to mild steel bases a nylon strip is inserted between the faces, all fixing screws are coated with copper slip which will prevent any reaction when using disimlar metals,this method is used in the oil/gas industry.
Pentrox or a equivelent is used on ground conductors,when for example connecting a zinc coated crimp termination to a copper ground bar with a stainless steel screw.
Another method is to use zinc coated ground bars, crimps,and bolts which are then coated with pentrox.
To asure good electrical continuity periodic ductor test should be carried through out the life of the installtion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back