Corrosion rates in Refinery Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

demsha

Materials
Feb 20, 2010
CA
Dear All,

Does anyone knows where I can find (literature, journals etc.)possible corrosion rates in refinery equipment? At this tiime I am looking for corrosion rates in Distillate Hydrotreating Unit

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shell Oil used to publish basic corrosion rate data in specific fluids. ASM Handbook Volume 13 has basic corrosion rates in specific fluids. Also NACE Store - Corrosion in the Petrochemical Industry.
Corrosion rates will depend on material chemistry, temperature, pressure and composition of fluid. You will not obtain definitive rates for your service. You should talk to plant metallurgists and inspectors to obtain better information.

Many years ago, I attended monthly, informal meetings with Refinery Inspectors in Southern California. The info obtained was invaluable. Network through API and NACE conferences/symposiums as well.

Published data is good, but don't base your reliability decisions on it.
It must be based on YOUR equipment, running YOUR crude, using YOUR inspection data.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

API 570 can be useful. First you need to establish you base line trough effective thickness measurements, than after one year repeat your measurements in the same location. After that you can make a first approach to a corrosion rate, later on you must repeat your measurements to make a fine tuning of your corrosion rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back