Corrosion Resistance JP-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickstyles5

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2008
CA
Hello,
Does anyone know of a book that would cover corrosion resistance of JP-10 with various elastomers / metals? From what I've seen, there only seems to be Viton that is OK with JP-10. Nitrile (Buna-N) is not OK and I'm not sure about PTFE Teflon? Does anyone know of some charts that include JP-10? Or books?
Thanks
Gabriel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as metal corrosion, I don't think there are any real risks of the metal being attacked by JP-10. What is probably more of a concern is any catalytic cracking or degradation of the fuel in contact with different metals, esp. at high temperatures. But, would assume that one reason for using a fully synthetic fuel is to reduce that risk.

Thus far with my researching, I've seen that the only Elastomer that is compatible with JP-10 is Viton. In terms of plastics, it is very hard to find information regarding PTFE (Teflon). Does anyone know if PTFE is compatible with JP-10?

In terms of metals, I honestly have not found any information regarding JP-10. I am assuming stainless is OK. But does anyone know which metals they use with JP-10?

Thanks again!

There is a NASA standard on metals for fuel handling, but I am not sure how to find a copy anymore.
In general the more corrosion resistant the metal the more exotic fuels it will handle safely.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Suggest the researching begin with the MIL standard for the fuel.

Within that standard, is probably a reference to the fuel handling standard, MIL-STD-290, IIRC. Any special handling concerns would likely be noted therein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back