Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Resistant Fasteners 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansys54

Civil/Environmental
Mar 28, 2003
CA
Not sure if such a steel exists but here goes. We have a trench drain in a concrete slab. Draining into the trench is 50% Sodium Hydroxide(Caustic) and 93% Sulphuric Acid. Rather than form a ledge into the concrete to carry the trench grating, we're considering installing angle iron with bolts into the existing trench wall.

Good idea or Bad?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ansys54,

Interesting. *IF* the pH ends up anywhere near neutral you may be OK-assuming they are mixed well before they reach the steel. The steel will survive the caustic OK, but not the acid. If you need a metal to resist the acid, holler back.

Sodium Hydroxide PH is 14 and 93% Sulphuric is 0.3. I suspect a "Bad" and a "holler back" are consistent with what I thought but wasn't sure until now.
Thanks to both of you.

My specialty is concrete so if I can ever be of help just ask.

I'm curious,
Does your concrete have a coating or sealant for protection?
[If not, I suggest a clear, penetrating epoxy sealer or a coating of Derakane vinylester epoxy]

Do you have an EPA or other government permit for this hazardous waste treatment process?

I don't Metalguy however that's a good and obvious question which I hadn't thought of until now. I will test it.

Kenvlach, this is not effluent and is NOT discharged directly into the environment. It gets recycled back into the process after it enters the trench.

why can't / don't you use an angle made from vinyl ester frp? currently making many parts similar to this application for an electro galvanize line...works beautifully...
plasticfreq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back