Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

corrosion & water flow patterns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornio

Apr 9, 2000
MX
Visit site
I am trying to find something related to corrosion on boats on seawater, especifically I wonder if there is a way to stablish a relationship between the water-flow pattern below the boat and the configuration of anodes to prevent corrosion...I can get flow patterns by a STAR-CD analysis, I just want to know the relationship.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi <br>If we are talking about the corrosion which is due to friction between water boundary layer and boat body, then you have to find the water boundary lyer velocity profile over the boat body, then apply Newton low of viscosity (T= M x dv\dn )Where :<br>T:Shear stress<br>M: water viscosity<br>dv\dn :velocity derivative to boundary layer thickness.<br>Then you can integerate the sher stress over the area to find whats called drag force (skin friction) which caused the corrosion.<br><br>You can go to a less accuracy formula which leads to :<br>Drag force = Cf x 1/2 x water density x A x V^2 where :<br>Cf : 1.328 / ( Re )^0.5 ( palte coefficient of skin drag)<br>Re : Plate Reynolds number.<br>A: Plate area.<br>V: velocity just out side the boundary layer.<br><br>I hope the above is helpful <br><br>BYYY<br><br><br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back