Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

COSMOS/M installation - Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

groveri

Aerospace
May 27, 2005
US
I have a permanent cosmos/m license I've use for 5 years w/ Windows XP w/ dongle. Tried to install on new Windows 7, 64 bit machine. New machine recognizes dongle, but not licence file. Any tips?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it is becoming a relic, but I have a lot of time invested in some specialized Macros, and I know how to get around most of the program issues you have with any software. Plus, I own it and it doesn't cost anything, all of the reasonable options are a lot of $. I think it can work on 64 bit because it will work in demo mode just fine. It just has a "license check failed" error when trying to start the non demo versions.

Since I bought it from SRAC and SW bought SRAC, I guess SW is my reseller. I contacted SW licensing and they are not interested in helping. So I guess if I can't solve the problem on my own, I'll just have to keep an old XP PC if I want to continue to use cosmos. Thanks for the advice though, it did help some.

You can use XP mode within windows 7, provided by Microsoft (for free).
Try to install it there.

Sorry to hear that SW isn't willing to help, makes you think about the company....

I have had problems with the XP virtual desktop on Windows 7. Anything with a hardware lock fails on licensing. I can load the dongle but it doesn't recognise the license.

I get GeoStar to run fine though on W7 x64. Maybe update the driver for the dongle..

Hey all,

I have found a way to use Cosmos/M and Windows Seven in the same time. I have used VmWare Workstation, a virtual machine software, to install an virtual xp, and it works. I just have finished a static analysis for test, it gave me no problems.

As far as I know xp-64 has some stability issues and even on VM I'm scared to use it. Well is to be expected since xp is a system made for 32 bits, even with the modifications that xp 64 has, is still not even close to seven.

I have succeeded in getting Cosmos/M 2.85 to run on my XP 64 machine. Here are the areas of difficulty in the order in which they need to be solved:

[ol]
[li]Parallel port[/li]
[li]Sentinel/Rainbow license server[/li]
[li]Software Installation[/li]
[/ol]

Parallel Port
[ol]
[li]Newer machines don't have parallel ports so a PCI/e or PCI card needs to be installed and gotten to work[/li]
[li]3rd party parallel ports can be tricky to get working. In my case with a 64 bit Phenom motherboard and an Oxford parallel port a manual install of the port was required.[/li]
[li]You might need to have a parallel port printer handy to check the port function before you install the dongle.[/li]
[li]Frequently the port with a PCI install will be named LPT3. Using device manager make it LPT1 just for consitency.[/li]
[li]Once the parallel port is working install the dongle[/li]
[/ol]
Rainbow Sentinel License Server
[ol]
[li]Goto Rainbow Support for the SuperPro dongle[/li]
[li]Download the latest driver and SuperPro Medic[/li]
[li]SSDCleanup is also helpful if you need to uninstall previous drivers[/li]
[li]Install the Sentinel Protection Server[/li]
[li]Install SuperproMedic and check that the driver and dongle are visibile and working[/li]
[li]Fix problems if they occur[/li]
[/ol]
Install Cosmos/M
[ol]
[li]Install in the usual way. It should install as a 32 bit app[/li]
[li]Use the license administration tool to check that your license is working as intended[/li]
[/ol]

Caveat Emptor
Your milage may vary. This is what worked for me and I haven't exercised all of Geostar yet. I'll be benchmarking soon. If you find something different works for you then please post in this thread and I'll make an FAQ out of it once it seems to be stable.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back