Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COSMOS-Thermal- analysing part at -10 deg C and +70 deg. c

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammmt

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2008
US
I am new at Cosmos. I have got a quick assignment.

I have designed flat plastic mirror in Solidworks with tight flatness tolerance. I want to find out how this part will behave at -10 deg. C and +70 degree C. My goal is to find out distortion (mm) with respect to temperature. So if I see bowing effect due to temperature- I can select diffenret plastic material.

What is starting point to do this type of analysis in Cosmos? I will appreciate your kind help.

- Sam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The strating point in this and any other analysis is to first define the problem. A body that is at a temperature will not show any distortion unless there is some temperature difference within the body or some relative restraint that prevents thermal expansion. You'll have to define your problem better if you want to know where to start.

corus

You need to set up a static analysis in Cosmos. Then you need to define where your part is constrained and then add the temperature as a load/restraint on the whole body.

After you run the study the displacement plot will give you the required results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back