CosmosWorks Bolted Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaggyPE

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Anybody in here use CosmosWorks?
What is the best way to simulate bolt preload in a bolted assembly? Cosmos seems very limited in this aspect. I have applied a temperature technique where I attach a low temperature to the bolt causing it to shrink. This is a technique I have read about on the web. It seems to work but my results don't appear the way I would expect, I wonder if the temperature attachment has caused other loads to the rest of the model.

Thanks in advance,
Shaggy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have two suggestions for the thermal method you are using. First, CosmosWorks allows you to put a thermal load on just a single part. Secondly, you can manually change the thermal properties of the other part materials such that they are not affected by a temperature load on the whole assembly. This is the method with which I have had more luck. Also, make sure thermal effects are turned on in the study properties menu (and that input temperature is checked).

Kristin Jugenheimer
Metis Design Corporation

I think you're better off just doing the proof load and proof stress by hand. At least double check Cosmos results by hand that way you would know if you're in the ball park.

The temperature method does work very well if applied correctly. We have some units that are attached to airframes at say 3 independent points and we (have to) model the attachements using the friction forces at the joints. We get excellent correlation with results from major airframe maunfacturers use different FEA software.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I am new to CosmosWorks after using HyperMesh at another facility. Are there tools to find certain elements in the mesh? What are the procedures for tracking down run errors? The online help files don't cover these subjects very well.

You should post this as a new thread. Also there is a finite element analysis forum on this board.

but pertaining to your question:
I don't know what you mean by "find certain elements in the mesh" in regards to CosmosWorks. If you me define certain elements than this may pertain. Cosmos is rather limited in its element functionality. All you can do is insert solid elements or shell elements. There is no mixing and matching. There is also no ability to insert beam type elements. Cosmos is a relatively low end FEA package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back