Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cost comparison between FBE and 3LPE applications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhibi

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2003
GB
I need help with the material and application cost estimate (if possible a formula) for Fusion Bonded Epoxy and 3layer Polyethylene coating for an 8" oil pipeline with operating temperature of 85degC.

Gregory Akhibi
Clearwaters Consulting Ltd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Akhibi

Most coating companies will be happy to give you a free quote. The cost will depend on a number of factors, including - how much pipe do you have to coat (is it 500 meters, 5 kms or 500 kms) and where is it (freight is a big one). Many pipe mills have coating plants set up adjacent. Check your pipe mills.

The other question they will have is - is this a budgeatry quote or a hard dollar bid? If it is hard dollar, they won't give a cost unless they have a specification.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

It is a budgetry quote.

I need to get this infomation from colleagues like yourself who have actually used this.

A unit cost ($ per m) will be good for me.

Thanks

Akhibi

Quite frankly when I'm doing cost estimates, if it 3 is layer PE I shoot someone like Shaw a request for a quote.

On FBE, if you don't want to request a cost, I would use around $1.50/sq ft for budget numbers. However, there is a risk of using rules of thumbs without a quote, you run the risk of under pricing and the longer the pipeline the higher the risk. Again, I would strongly recommend requesting a quote.

3 layer PE will run you much more than that, however, in many circumstances I would go with the 3 layer PE because of the mechanical protection afforded.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back