Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost effective PLCs w/ remote I/O 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yngbld13

Automotive
Sep 24, 2010
US
Does anyone have some good experience with some smaller scale PLCs using remote I/O? I've used the larger systems like CompactLogix and S7-300 w/ remote I/O but that's a little more expensive for the small-scale job I am currently working on. A vendor recommended Telemech/Twido to me but I'm not very familiar with their hardware and if they can work w/ 3rd party remote I/O (Phoenix, WAGO, etc.)?

yngbld13

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am working on a similar project - Pump Control Panel project with remote I/O.

For cost efectiveness - the software is a pain, BUT it does offer a lot of features. --Unitronics V350 HMI/PLC in one!

Then you can add any 3rd party device if you want for remote I/O - BUT again this product also has built in WEB SERVER!! so you can host LOCAL or REMOTE connectivity!

Add GPRS and there you have it or a GPRS Router, etc the options are endless! FREE SOFTWARE - FREE WEBSERVER - HMI/PLC in ONE! It just makes sense -- and NO I don't work for Unitronics. I am a OEM system builder.

Hope this helps! If you need more assistance please feel free to inquire.

Steve

Siemens' new S7-1200 micro doesn't have remote I/O yet, but the small bricks are so cheap you can just use a remote PLC and connect it to a master via Ethernet to read it's I/O. I've found they are actually less expensive than an Ethernet module.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

What software does the S7-1200 Micros use? I've used the Step7 Microwin for the 200s and the standard Step7 for the 300's in the past and feel pretty comfortable w/ both of those. Thanks for the tip.

The 1200 has it's own software now, it's a "lite" version of Step 7 called "Step 7 Basic". It also includes the software to program their new "Basic HMI" line of touch screens as well. This is different from the MicroWin package in that it is fully able to migrate up into the Step 7 for larger PLCs if your system grows (MicroWin has to be converted).

In the not-too-distant future, all of the Step 7 software will migrate to this style, Siemens is calling it "TIA Portal". If you have Step 7 pro with the Software Upgrade Service package, you will be automatically upgraded to TIA Portal when it is released. Everything will be backwards compatible, and the full package TIA Portal will roll in the Step 7 Basic for the 1200.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

I have good luck using Automation Direct PLCs - they have a large selection and many of their PLCs (Koyo) have been sold under other names: GE, TI, etc. Their prices are very good and they have a number of inexpensive options for remote I/O. In one job we used a number of 405 PLC racks with ethernet modules which connected to a PC running linux. Their software is OK, it works for different models and it's inexpensive.

The other advantages are that most parts are stocked and you have 30 days to return a part for a refund, so long as you still have the box. I once had a problem with a PLC. It turned out to be a back plane. I ordered a CPU, backplane and I/O cards and returned what I didn't need a few days later.

Stephen Van Buskirk

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. - Mark Twain

Looks like this thread might be a bit stale, but I just implemented an Allen-Bradley network using their ethernet Point-I/O solution. Very slick architecture. The remote I/O network can be optionally setup as a redundant ring. The remote I/O blocks and ethernet adapters are very cost effective.

KCRider,
I use Allen Bradley all the time. One thing for sure is that there is nothing about Allen Bradley that is cost effective. They have nice stuff, I agree there. But they are painfully overpriced. We get Siemens and IDEC PLCs for less than half of what we get Allen Bradley for. And they are just as good.

I second jraef on the s7-1200. The step 7 basic software is easy to use and surprisingly powerful. It is the easiest hmi programming I have ever done.

Other micro plc's like the micrologix have rs232 communication, so you need AB's cable and a usb-rs232 adapter. The s7-1200 has the ethernet port.

Joel Olson

How about Phoenix Contact's controllers? They seem to offer a wide range of modular I/O that just mounts on the side of whatever protocol controller you want to use. I looked at their prices and they seem lower than many others and I/O will fit in smaller spaces. Also they have many that are approved for hazardous locations if that is a need for you. I am looking at theirs for some projects but haven't tried them out yet. Hopefully someone has some input on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back