Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost Estimate Website/Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon610

Civil/Environmental
Aug 12, 2014
US
I'm working on an Asset Management task where I need to price the replacement cost of different pieces of equipment for a municipality, specifically their water/wastewater treatment facilities. I have been using USA blue book to get individual prices and plotting their relationship to certain qualities (like how the price of a pump is related to the Horsepower). However, the books I have (RSMeans, USA Blue Book) don't always cover the equipment I need.

My boss did send me two sample websites that give equations other people have determined ( and
Does anyone know of websites similar to the ones listed above? Any websites that give equations of cost estimating based on one or two pieces of information about an object? Again, I'm focused on water/wastewater treatment facility equipment & parts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only way you can trust the numbers (especially important if your going to use these prices in contracts) is by making your own database within your company. If you can work with some VBA, you can easily make a database and grow it along the way when you receive quotes from suppliers.

No company likes sharing this kind of information, so it's hard to find on the internet.

Here's my advice. Call either an equipment vendor like Coombs Hopkins or whoever is local to your area or call a company like mine who does nothing except water and wastewater design. We have in our house, somewhere, every piece of water/wastewater equipment on earth. You probably won't have to pay us unless you work for a competitor or you become a nuisance. Of course, I'm not going to give you our name, because that would be too easy.
I can almost guarantee you're not going to find a database. If there was one, I'd know about it.
Hopefully you don't work for us.

Depending on the parts, you may get catalogues with prices (usual for smaller components, less usual for pumps but I've seen that too). Since you are estimating/calculating the replacement costs of specific parts, look at original offers. Seconded Blutooth and JedClampett: Talk to vendors, hoard offers and make a database or just a filedump on your server where you gather all offers. I've been doing cost calculations for years and I find nothing beats havein actual offers before you or actual vendors on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back