Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cost of bulk oxygen plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltonian

Mechanical
May 9, 2002
GB
One way of making a dent in atmospheric CO2 levels is to capture the CO2 produced in thermal electricity generating plant and pump it down oil/gas wells or to the bottom of the ocean.

A feasible method of capture is to burn the fuel in the presence of oxygen (not air) and a diluent, either steam or CO2.

This requires a source of a lot of oxygen.

Can anyone point me towards information about the capital and running costs of bulk oxygen plant?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The energy required to produce the oxygen may make more CO2 than you are saving - mass and energy balance would determine this.
Why use costly pure oxygen?
Good luck.

Thankss, DC, for your prompt reply. The energy cost of separating oxygen is small, about 0.25 kWh/kg, I believe - a small fraction of the energy released by combustion. The reasons for using pure(ish) oxygen are to avoid any problem with NOX formation in the combustor AND the need to separate CO2 from nitrogen in the exhaust stream.

Re cost of bulk Oxygen, guess your best bet would be to contact Air Liquid Inc. or Paraxair as they sell the Oxygen directly. This will be able to give you a rough estimate i.e. approximately how much will it cost you to manufacture your own Oygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back