Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost of composite materials 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompoMan

Materials
Feb 22, 2008
GB
Does anyone know any website with information on the cost of composite materials i.e fibres: glass/carbon/kevlar either in UD or fabric form, also their prepregs with different matrices (epoxy/cyanate ester)
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The cost of Cyanate Ester Quartz is $20 per square foot per 0.011 inch of prepreg......FYI...we use this stuff all the time...we design, analyze, and build products with this material all of time...glass is much cheaper.

Scott Wroblewski
Air and Space Engineering

Thanks guys especially demon3. And MikeHalloran, since you reply "yes" any chance of providwe me the info??. I'm especially interested in the the cost for fibrees like M46J, M55J, IM7, T800, T300 and in both UD and fabric, and their prepregs.
Merci beaucoup

CompoMan - have you contacted the material suppliers for a quote? I doubt you will find accurate prices on a public web page, and the price will vary greatly with quantity, applicable specification, etc.

No, I have not SWComposites. You're right about the prices are affected by the quantity but I'm not looking for abosolute cost value but general values that will allow cost comparison like those in the link provided by Demon3 except preferably of materials to my interest.

Unlike metals, composites are much more complicated than you are making them when it comes to getting prices.
First you get the fiber/resin cost
Second, don't forget to include any core you might use
Oh, then there are film adhesives.
And! Don't forget your consumables, peel ply, bag film, breather. These are often overlooked when ROM pricing parts for cost estimation.

Often dry fibers and prepreg tape are sold by the lb.
Prepregs fabrics are sold by the SF.

Each prepreger will be different for similar materials.

Here is a for instance. I recently quoted 2 fiber types of the same toray fiber each pre-preged by a different prepregger with a hi temp resin. the cost from one vendor was 2X the cost from the other. That the material we chose was the cheaper one, but the cost of the compatible film adhesive was 6X the cost of the more expensive fiber system.

It seems I can't even get quoted for an AS4 right now.

I will give you some ranges I have seen recently for fabrics:
Epoxy Prepreg 3.25 - 8 / sf
Cyanate Ester prepreg 11 - 25 / sf
BMI 8 - 12 / sf

But as was mentioned earlier, you should contact some prepreggers and get quotes. Even if you aren't ready to purchase. You'll get a much better idea of what's available and current cost (instead of the cost form 2003 like most of what you find on the net).

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back