Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost of mass transit

Status
Not open for further replies.

exCLP

Civil/Environmental
Apr 13, 2007
US
Anyone have up-to-date cost numbers ($/passanger-mile) for rubber-tire and fixed-rail (at-grade, elevated, and tunnel) mass transit systems....Interested in both Operating and Capital Recovery....

Is there any mass transit system out there that pays for itself, or does this still remain 1950's CATS and the San Antonio Bus System (up until San Antonio was asked to advise on the writing of the UMTA legislation in the early 1970's)?

Is any fixed-rail system in America even paying its own Operating expenses out of the fare-box??

What is the Operating cost/hour, of putting a city bus on a street route?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a number of fixed rail projects internationally that are privately financed and therefore theoretically profitable, but I do not know about the US.

However even Build Operate Transfer projects can have financial assistance from Governments included. However most get investors from propoerty owners who own property near stations which increases in value after the rail line opens.

Have you tried the Federal Transit Administration?

It would also be interesting to see how much highway travel is subsidized.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back