Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost/Value of Solidworks? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensai

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

We currently have 4 seats of Solidworks 2005 S.P3.0.
We would like to upgrade to SW2006.
The prices quoted all stipulate a mandatory 1 year subscription and maintainence contract to go with the software upgrade.
As we do not require support, is there any way to just buy the upgrade itself?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The subscription support includes the cost of a new version and service packs. It also allows you access to a VARs roll-outs and seminars. Your company is not really saving money by dis-continuing subscription.

[cheers]

We have had solidworks since 1998.
We use solidworks classic or base edtion (no photoworks etc.)
We were paying £4000 approx EVERY year, the questions is, for what?

An upgrade that usually has more bugs than fixes,
Support which couldn't solve all of our problems.
Also, with each new version of solidworks the performance of your hardware decreases thus you have to buy faster processors, more RAM, better video cards etc.

Welcome to the world of CAD and software... it’s been like this for years and will never change. - Upgrading is part of it. I have the same box for 3 years now and I am still able to use SW07 Sp4.

As for more bugs and fixes... SP0.0 is always a little buggier when it comes out, but as the SP's come they usually get better... it really varies on what you do in your company. Some people that find a show stopping bug and keep them from doing their job, while others may never encounter that bug at all. It varies between people and companies.

If you don't pay for maintenance your having to pay and extra fee just to get the upgrade, so you’re probably spending more money each year by paying this to upgrade. Your better off getting the support and the SP's then not getting them at all. If you upgrade to SW07 and don't get maintenance then your stuck with SP0... and if you don't have a bug that stops you from working entirely, then your not entitled to the SP that could help or fix the problem. If you have a workaround, then that's your fix. We have customers we never hear from, but they get their upgrades every year.

If support could not fix your problems its one of 2 reasons, they are not educated enough to fix them, or the way you use the software is practical for SW… in other words your design intent is wrong and SW does not perform that away. I have seen it a thousand times. Everyone designs difference, but SW has a set way of using Design intent. If you don’t follow this procedure, then your trying to make the software do something it was not intended to do like this. Its not to say it can’t be done, just might be your process perhaps.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

The `box' you have had for 3 years now,
I'm guessing it's a high-end workstation, maybe dual xeons, with a high-end video card, and at least 2GB of RAM.

I have P4 3.0 Ghz
2GB 400MHz RAM
128MB ATI FireGL X1 AGP

My PC is used as a server to another 2 SW seats, would this run SW2007?

HAHA I wish!

its a single 2.4Ghz with 3GB of RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 1100... that's about it... its nothing special... in fact its a generic PC it has not brand name on it. We pick the PC up for $600 and just slowly added to it... 3GB of RAM is added along with the VC... and I recently got a DVD burner on it... its nothing special.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I guess your comments pretty much beg the question. Why do you want to upgrade at all if you do not see a benefit?

As they say, you have to pay to play. Depending on your organization, the annual maintenance is probably a small overhead expense.

Dan

I never call support unless there's a software bug and I need to get a repair order in. Otherwise, I figure I'm simply paying for software updates. The bottom line is that you need to make the software not only pay for itself, but pay to be worth being used. I use SW every day, and I get great use out of the PhotoWorks/Animator modules on top of the base software--so I get a bit more use out of the software for a little extra. As it is, it pays for itself and helps me make money. (I understand the cost, it comes out of my pocket.)

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Kensai said:
My PC is used as a server to another 2 SW seats, would this run SW2007?
If you mean as a file storage, that's not a good idea for any version ... or any software for that matter. Have a separate PC for the server or your machine will be constantly taking a performance hit whenever the other stations access yours.
How is your PC acting as the server?

[cheers]

I think most software companies try to convince you that you need to "upgrade" on a regular basis. If they didn't do this, they'd go out of business.

I sometimes think somewhat useless features are created towards this end. The next thing you know, you're working with bloated software.

Ken

If I am not mistaken most VARs that are worth anything will give you the Service Packs for year dated software if you decide not to purchase the service contract.....So that would mean the service agreement is so you can continue to upgrade to the newest release. I would take a look at what Adobe's service agreement is....we end up paying a few dollars off of MSRP when we want to upgrade. I personally think SWx service agreement is a bargin.

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001

o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Avoid the base hypocrisy of condemning in one man what you pass over in silence when committed by another." -- Theodor

Not all software upgrades are upgrades to the use interface. Increasingly, software is being upgraded to leverage the fast-paced hardware market. Although upgrades (both hardware and software) are the market trend, you really need to crunch the numbers on an individual basis. Do a ROI calculation, and maybe the answer to your dilemma will fall out.

Although you have to admit there is a coolness factor, guys. Nobody wants to admit that they still use their Amiga to play Pitfall at home, right? Is it just me?

Dan

There's been some changes made regarding service packs and upgrades:
• Service packs will be installation specific.

• Service packs cannot be installed on installations that are not current with Subscription Service.

• Product upgrades will be available only to active subscription customers.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP

My PC is used as file storage for the other 2 SW seats.
If you never call your VAR for support can you justify the support cost?
Would you pay bill gates a yearly subscription fee after you bought one of his operating systems?
I was a lot happier with Solidworks when it wasn't trying to be autocad.

We shall continue to use SW2005 without subscription, as you say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Its going to suck if you have someone using a later version then SW05... because you should know its not backwards compatiable... then you will be forced to upgrade if you want the Tree history.

There are a lot of people that justify the cost with calling support, unless they find a bug to turn in. If you guys are one of companies that think calling in to help SW find its own bugs is nonsense, then you can't complain about the bugs in the software IMO. But if you are proactive and help SW to better serve you then more power to you... Its respectable. But at the same time to each his own.

If I had to pay windows for windows support and upgrades... No questions asked, I would pay. The SP that they release fix known issues and crashing, etc... Then if there was a problem I would call and tell them the problem. Its a good thing their system is not set up like that.

SW was never trying to be ACAD. SW is still SW and its a 3D modeler ACAD is a 2D drawing package period. Just because it added a few features to attract ACAD users is no big deal... just don't use those features, there are plenty of of commands that have nothing to do with ACAD. However some of the features they added like Blocks and layers can be utilized well.

Of course to me that's kind of like saying... I was a lot happier with SW when it wasn't trying to be Pro-E. SW is a form of Pro-E, just modified to be a MCAD software and easier to use, along with being supported on a Windows OS. I have been using SW since it came out in 95-96. So I am vet to this software. There is nothing added to SW that makes it anything but SW. There are items added to make your life easier and those that came from ACAD. If you don't like something they added, don't use unless you have too. No need to complain about it, its not going away.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

"My PC is used as file storage for the other 2 SW seats."
As I said before ... bad idea. That is probably part the cause of any performance problems.

"If you never call your VAR for support can you justify the support cost?"
To stay up to date with the latest additions to SW. If you change from SW05 to SW10 it will be like learning a completely new software. Better to learn the program in smaller steps and make use of the new stuff as you go.

"Would you pay bill gates a yearly subscription fee after you bought one of his operating systems?"
If Windows was adding capabilities which made me more productive or functions which made designing easier, (like SW is) then without reservation ... YES.

"I was a lot happier with Solidworks when it wasn't trying to be autocad."
I think Scott covered this very well. It's not trying to be ACAD, (there is no comparison in capabilities) but it is trying to make the transition to MCAD easier for ACAD users. Sometimes it works (blocks, layers, etc) sometimes it doesn't (2D emulator).

If you are that unhappy with SW, there are plenty of other choices. Just remember though, the grass only looks greener from this side.

[cheers]

"If you never call your VAR for support can you justify the support cost?"
To stay up to date with the latest additions to SW. If you change from SW05 to SW10 it will be like learning a completely new software. Better to learn the program in smaller steps and make use of the new stuff as you go.

But what if SWx2005 still met all your needs what would be the purpose to upgrade? Because upgrading brings with it a host of other needed hardware upgrades. One thing that's stinging us right now is the need for more RAM. SWx2005 still meets all our needs. Albeit, the new features in 2007 make sense.

Just trying to look at it from another angle. I still use Pro/E 2001 even though I have a service contract to upgrade to WildFire.....

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001

o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Avoid the base hypocrisy of condemning in one man what you pass over in silence when committed by another." -- Theodor

my two cents I agree that most upgrades with SW or any other software are to push new hardware. Where I work some cleints send SW files and if our version is not what they have or higher then we would not be able to open it you. so at least in our casewe do need the upgrades and I personally use a very low end computer it could run better but at the end of the day it gets the job done. so upgrades are defiately a good idea if you don't see yourself sharing SW files then you don't have to worry about compatability issues then you may get away with using an older version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back