Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Costs of materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

doorf

Chemical
Nov 14, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm looking for the costs of materials which will be used for tanks. The materials are SS304, Carbon steel, Aluminum, Fiber reinforced plastic and pyrex plexiglass. Can anyone guide me about these prices or where I can find the unit material costs as well as the cost of making vessels from these materials.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried talking to your purchasing department? Also, raw material suppliers such as Central Steel Co.They publish a book that has the cost per lbs. of steel. Aluminum suppliers are also around. Check the Thomas Register. Plastic suppliers are the same. Design Engineers usually know the price of the materials before they specify them on their prints.

Sorry, my friend, but it's not a good time to ask such trick questions. Some tips will follow:
-Price for carbon steel plates was ~500 USD/ton in June 2004 and exploded to 732USD/ton in November. This tendency is still kept. SS prices are consistently following this.
- Already, CORUS and Thyssen announced 50EUR/ton raise in January, and another similar raise in February.

Therefore, my advice is to try estimating the cost at the time of finalisation of the project.I admit it's a long shot, but,that way, your project will not be underfinanced.
As regard to the vessel's price(steel only), please send me specifications, at beta@buzau.ro (attn: Mr. Dumitrache)and I'll give you a price in several days

Doorf,
If you are looking at manufacturing tanks from these materials and wishing to develop an end cost then be sure to look at the associated processes costs as well. There are a huge differences among these materials and you will need to define application first to even define the processes.

Just completed a similar project,

Griffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back