Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Costs of Various Metals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahad29

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2005
US
I am looking for a comprehensive list of costs of different metals such as steels, Al etc for variety of shapes and sizes. One way is to call the vendors but I need comprehensive and LOT of information. I realise that the rates keep changing but I just need ball-park figues. I tried googling but could not find anything useful. Please let me know a source if any.

Thanks
ahad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ahad29,

Keep in mind also cost differences due to availability. The cost of a commodity on the exchange may differ from what is available in your geographical area.

Some project manager forget that the same bar stock with 2 day delivery is sometimes more expensive than 2 month delivery.

If you are looking for your costs, going to the commodities exchange or even foundries, may not be indicative of what you pay. Perhaps going to your vendors will give the most "real cost" estimates?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Keep in mind commodity prices are not going to be indicative of mill or "finished" prices for rolled structural shapes which I assume your looking for by the way you worded your question..."different metals such as steels, Al etc for variety of shapes and sizes"

Even price trends in commoditiy metals markets don't always translate into proportional price trends in mill products as there are numerous supply-demand factors that contribute to price of mill materials. 10 years ago I think you could have ballparked a rough $/lb list for a variety of metal products but that is really hard to do these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back