Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could one compare these two nonlinear FEM books. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

Could anyone who has experience in nonlinear fem compare the book of Ted Belytschko "Nonlinear FE for continua and structures" (2000) and Crisfield M. A. "Non-linear FEA of solids and structures Vol.1" (1991).

Which one is more practical in real application/research or in another points of view.

Thanks in advanced.

They're both really good. When you say "practical" and "real application/research" in the same sentence, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Many books are either geared to the practicing analyst or to the PhD researcher. My recollection is that Crisfield's book leans a bit more towards practicing analyst than does Belytschko.

Brad

Hi,

I have seen one-two chapters from Belytschko book, and I found it a very very theoritical.

I can send you a sample chapter if you want.

Thanks for bradh and dharni. Yes I have already own it but I can still return this book within two weeks. It's highly theoretical ; at the same time, rather like a summary for Gurus, not so much example.I love Bathe style's. What do you think bradh/dharni, should I keep it for the future or you recommend me to Crisfield's or others' book. Thanks

The answer is very dependent on what your usage is. I've got everything from hard-core theory to "FEA for Dummies" type books. I use the whole range, depending on what I'm looking for and how I'm trying to present something. Will you use it? If so, keep it. If not, dump it.

I feel that you can't have too many books (much to my wife's chagrin--she likes the bookshelf space for herself).

[smile]
Brad

None of them. Computational Inelasticity of Simo is the best for nonlinear FEM if you want to do real research.
If you are an 'analyst' (a mere FEM commercial program user) you just need the manual of your program.

Actually, I am so impressed with Belytschko's systematic intuition style. However, I decide turn to OCZ's and Bathe's books which I 'm more familiar with. Also, I will try to evaluate Simo's book as your suggestion. Thanks for all comments.

cmfg--
I've got Simo and Hughes on my bookshelf also. Again, it depends what one is trying to do. As you've suggested, Simo and Hughes lies entirely on the theoretical side (it is, bar none, the heaviest theoretical book on my bookshelf).

Don't dismiss other books based on your own bias; while I appreciate where your point, 90% of people who ask the above question are not looking for answers such as would come from Simo and Hughes.

Brad

Hi Dollar...

I am surprised you found Bathe more a application oriented. I find it pretty theoritical. Well I guess that me.. and my limited knowledge. Anyway.. I also like it. I also have atleast half a dozen that I keep with me of various thicknesses and intensity.
But as I said, my intensity on FEA is not till the point yet that I can even touch Simo and Hughes.;)

I want to recommend You more practical book in this area:
"Nonlinear problems in machine design" by E.Zahavi and
D. Barlam. It includes set of practical design cases, so You will see step-by-step nonlinear analyses (such as plasticity,large displacements,contact).

masha

Dear friends,

Finally, I can not conclude which one is better, but both of them are necessary for me. I try to read both and what I get is the balance between two. Actually, now I am more interested in physical nonlinear problem and those three books are currently bibles for me. Thanks for all advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back