Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

countersunk culverts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpawn

Civil/Environmental
May 19, 2005
US
I am designing a subdivision road that crosses a drainage swale. In order for the roadway centerline to be at a reasonable elevation I will have to countersink my arch culverts. My question is...will the capacity in the culverts be same if I countersink them? The roadway is near the adjacent property so, I am trying not to minimize my headwater elevation. I am using the HY8 program.

Thanks for your time.......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you mean by "countersink." Are you talking about depressing them below existing flow? If you create a bathtub you can have lots of problems including silt, mosquitos, etc. depending on where you are. Use more smaller pipes, run the outlets to a lower elevation, or raise the road.

Yes....The pipes will be below the flow line.....If I raise the road to much the lots will have to be filled. I was planning on a rip-rap basin on both sides of the culvert.

Follow LCruisers's suggestions. No good will come from setting the culvert in a hole, even if the hydraulic calculations say it will work. Riprap won't prevent standing water or keep the basin from silting in.

Make it a wet crossing. Who needs a pipe? It will be a fancy "water feature" of the development hearking back to the days of yore, and should go nicely with the vinyl siding on the houses.

Now that's thinking outside the box culvert! <grin>

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

if this is the access point for the subdivision, you are probably going to be required to maintain a dry crossing for emergency access. If that is the case, a bridge, more culverts (multiple pipes) or raising the road may be the best option.

My question is: How do you calculate the effective 'moment of inertia' of two steel beams ( one on top of the other ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back