Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COUNTIF problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobit

Chemical
Sep 11, 2002
US
I have a spreadsheet that has about 20 columns and 500 rows. I need to count how many times a reactor number appears in a particular column and what type of raw materials and temperature (shown on different columns)were used. Atimes, we may use a reactor for different runs by varying the ingredents, temp and etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like Countif will work. What problems are you having with it?

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

ACtrafficengr,

For example, column B may contain reactor numbers 1 thru' 20 while column C may contain ingredients A to Z snd column D may contain percentage yields.

I need to be able to pick a reactor from column B then know how many times it was used for ingredient 'A' and what the yields are in column D.

Try this (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the formatting doesn't get trashed by HTML).

Write a string formula that combines columns B & C into Column E (=D10&E10). At this point, you can do a countif on column E, where your criteria is also a string formula that’s comprised of the reactor and ingredient combination that you’re searching under. Row F contains if tests and returns the D column Yield value if the E-column value matches the COUNTIF criteria and is blank if the E column value does not match.

Column B C
Row 2 Reactor 8
Row 3 Ingredient b
Row 4 COUNTIF criteria =C2&C3
Row 5 COUNTIF results =COUNTIF(E9:E17,C4)

Column B C D E F
Row 8 Reactor Ingredient Yield R&I Yield for search criteria
Row 9 (value) (value) (value) =B9&C9 =IF(E9=$C$4,D9,"")

Norm

Edit to the above: the formula that reads =D10&E10 in the explanatory text should read =B9&C9. The formatting survived but I don't fancy going through it again.

The formulas were written based on a very small table, only 9 rows deep. But it seems to do what I think you're attempting, and doesn't choke if there are no matches.

Norm

To me this sound like a typical pivot table job!

Its a very powerfull tool - and if you really want to impress everybody then a pivot table will usually do it :)

Best regards

Morten

How about the following, you will need to amend columns to suit.

In Column E enter a formula =B1&C1.

In G1 enter the data you wish to find e.g. 2B

In Column I enter 1, 2, 3 down as far as required.

in Column J enter the following formula

=INDEX($D$1:$D$5,SMALL(IF($E$1:$E$5=$G$1,ROW($B$1:$B$5)),I1))

when entering the formula use CTRL, SHIFT and ENTER together.

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.
----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back