Coupling attachment on long seam shell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dursosono

Materials
Aug 6, 2008
ID
Dear All,
Is it permitted by Code to welding a coupling 1" in centre line of long seam shell? Is there any additional requirement (except ndt) for this condition?
Thanks for any advice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the vessel is in service, yes, you can do this under an in-service inspection/repair code like the NBIC or API, and as long it is permitted by the original code of construction. If the vessel is designed for time independent service (no creep or low cycle fatigue) I would have no objection. I would conduct pre and post weld repair NDT of this location.

If the vessel operates in the time dependent regime (creep), I would discourage installation of a coupling in a long seam weld. Why? Because of creep concerns related to long seam welds. Knowing this, having a stress concentration in a long seam weld would present long term reliability issues.

Metengr,
This is new fabrication, long seam is butt joint Type 1. Shell was made from plate with 0.25" nom thk. Is it comply with bpvc sect 8 div 1?

refert to UW-14(b), this condition apply when opening was installed in Category B, C or shell to head. How about Category A (long seam)?

dursosono;
You are not interpreting the code correctly. Start with UW-14 (a). Beyond this general statement you have clarifications and exceptions.

The requirement for UW-14 (b) refers to single openings meeting the requirements that are specific to UG-36 (c) (3). Does your opening for the coupling meet this? Did you review UG-36 (3) (c)?

Met,

I don't think English is the OP's first language.

Dursosono,

Ask a question and then repharase it and re-ask it a different way changing the word order. That will make it more understandable and easier to figure out.

rmw

Sorry for missing sentence. An 1" class 3000# SA105 coupling that I thought it's satisfied per UG-36(c)(3), therefore exempt of reinforcement calculation, was installed in long seam weld. It's seem like falling in UW-14(b) but this paragraph did not state an opening in long seam (category A). I hope it's clearly.

What does your AI say? thread292-251591

UW-14(a) states that any single opening with reinforcement calculation per UG-37, may be placed in (or near) weld joints without imposing the NDE requirements of UW-14(b) through (c).

UW-14(b) through (c) is specifically referencing opening(s) that are inherently reinforced, more specifically, it is referencing those opening(s) exempt from UG-37 reinforcement calculations as specified in UG-36(c)(3).

UW-14(d) states that opening(s) that satisfy ONLY the requirements of UG-36(c) (3), must meet the radiography requirements specified in UW-14(b)

FAQ731-376

CodeJackal,
it's mean, if opening satisfied per uw-36(c)(3) was installed in long seam shell (category A) shall be meet with uw-14(d) due to long seam is more critical than circum joint?
I'll look forward to your replay

Let me try this again.....

If the designer performs reinforcement calculations in accordance with UG-37 through UG-42 [for any opening(s)] placed in [or near] a welded joint, RT per UW-51 is not required.

Let me rephrase my earlier reply and address the joint category....

UW-14(a) states that any single opening with reinforcement calculation per UG-37 or UG-39, may be placed in weld joints without imposing the NDE requirements of UW-14(b) through (c). UW-14(a) does not identify the joint category, so all joint categories are implied

UW-14(b) states that when a single opening depends on the UG-36(c)(3)exemption, and does not have reinforcement calculations performed in accordance with UG-37 through UG-42, and is placed in a Category B or C welded joint, RT per UW-51 for a length equal to 3 times the opening diameter is required.

UW-14(c) states that when multiple openings depend on the UG-36(c)(3)exemption, and do not have reinforcement calculations performed in accordance with UG-37 through UG-42, and are placed in a Category B or C welded joint, RT per UW-51 for a length equal to 3 times the opening diameter is required, PLUS the requirements of UG-53 shall be met.

UW-14(d) states that opening(s) that depend on the requirements of UG-36(c)(3), and are placed closer than 1?2 in. (13 mm) from the edge of a Category A, B, or C weld for material 1 1?2 in. (38 mm) thick or less, must meet the radiography requirements specified in UW-14(b)

FAQ731-376

CodeJackal,
Let me try to concluding your statement.
1. If we have an opening that placed in long seam shell (category A), we have two choice either UW-14(a) or UW-14(d)?
2. If the opening in point 1 above does not calculate per UG-37 through UG-42 we only have one choice that is UW-14(d)?
Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back