Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coupling for Reciprocating Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzal

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2004
US
Hi,

I am designing a direct drive system including an electric motor and a 6 -cylinder reciprocating compressor.

How much is the service factor I should use when I size the key and coupling hub/spider (because of the vibration)?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

wzal
This seems to be an odd question to me because all the open compressor/motor interfaces I have done (50 to 100hp). The motor/compressor shafts are already machined for a key.
You need to match each (if each is diffrent)with the correct coupling with the correct keyway.
In addition, I would recommend that you choose a flexible plate coupling instead of a spider type. Alignment of the motor/compressor is very, very critical. A spider type is not up to that task.
Contact the compressor manufacture for motor/compressor coupling guidlines, Iam sure they will be glad to help you.

Best Regards

pennpoint

Absolutely right - With an open type compressor, one of the biggest problems faced is a shaft seal leak due to mis-alignment. Get this done correctly and the compressor (generally) is a workhorse and doesn't pose too many problems.

HVAC68

If Pennpoint means bush and pin type coupling by flexible plate coupling, then I also suggest tyre coupling as an alternative.

quark

The type of coupling I meant is shown in the attached.

This type does not tolorate much missalignment therefore the motor/compressor alignment is critical. A tire (tyre) or elastomeric type you suggest dismisses the the critical alignment because they have a large compensation factor. Misleading the installer into a false sence of "thats GOOD ENOUGH". The seals on an open style refrigeration compressor cannot tolorate "ANY" side load.
I have to admit that its been awhile since I have done one of these, but I would still use dial indicators, alignment V-blocks and get it done right.
I strongly recommend that the compressor manufacture be consulted. If this were a Carlyle Compressor I know they have accepted procedures and approved couplings.
BTW stating that the compressor has six cylinders means nothing, it could be a 25hp or up to a 120hp compressor. These compressors are brutes and worth the big $$$ they get for them. Do a good job of installing them and you'll get long time service from them without expensive refrigerant loss and warranty service calls.

All this is only my opinion.

Best Regards
pennpoint

Thank you all for your valuable input.
I have a Lovejoy Jaw type and a Rex Omega coupling. Both of them have torque capacity 4 times of continuous torque of the application. But both of the 2 coupling manufacturers didn't say how much is the service factor I should use on the spec. (it seems to me recip compressor system is special application for these guys cause I can find service factor for all sorts of other applications).
Does anyone use any of the 2 types of coupling on recip compressor?

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back