Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cover All Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
From Global Saskatoon:

Saskatoon’s Cover-All Building Systems Inc. has issued a safety warning to owners of all the company’s product lines, saying there is reason to believe some of its buildings may not meet the present combined wind and snow load capacity requirements of applicable building codes.

Dik

The company is in the Canadian version of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. They ceased production and laid off 400 of the 483 workers at their Sasatoon factory. There is an article from the local paper there with more information. It sounds like multiple lawsuits in the US, Canada and Europe are involved. The Dallas Cowboys training facility was done by their subsidiary. The report from that, I believe, prompted the safety letter.

So they didn't cover all their bases, huh?

Sounds like "bankrupt the corporation and start the firm again at a later time", time here.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

I've been asked to perform a structural analysis of a Cover-All building. Have the design calculations from the Dallas Cowboys facility been released? Or do I only have the NIST report for assistance. Any other insight out-there would be very helpful, thanks.

We have been asked to look at some existing Cover-All buildings, as well. So far, we have declined.

I looked at some Cover-All shop drawings, and some of the parts and pieces look very "proprietary"--and difficult to analyze for capacity. For example, they have round web members that flatten out at each end for the bolted connection. My guess is that some of Cover-All's components were load tested, and not designed.

Also, these structures are not very expensive--usually less than $50K new. It's difficult to justify an elaborate structural analysis on something that cheap--the engineering fee would be a large percentage of the original construction cost.

DaveAtkins

do a search on this forum. the report done on the cowboy's facility was published in full and somebody linked it to a thread. i read most of it. good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back