Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Usage with Windows 7 64 bit, NX6 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg006

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2008
US
Hello,
I just got a new computer and have been using NX6 on it. It is much faster and I do like it quite a bit. It is a Dell Precision M6600 running windows 7 64 bit. When I run NX6 the processor usage only gets up to about 7 percent. It seems like there should be a way to make the processor run at full speed to make NX6 run even fast. Any ideas on how to do this? I would rather not overclock anything just yet (new computer and all).
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was just going to post he does have it in nx6. Thanks for the complete info on parallel processing. We will be migrating to 8 shortly (hopefully) so I did not have the the new changes in 8.

@rg006
One thing I would like to add...if you set your maximum concurrent processes to the same as the number of cores you have, processing on all core at once may make your UI sluggish. On my quad core computer I set it to three.

Now if only I could talk my manager into a 6-core or dual 4-core computer.

NX 7.5

Well, it looks like I have a lot of fun to look forward to when we finally move to NX7.0 sometime in 2015. I finally just got to start using NX6 this year.... at least I have a shinny box with NX8 written on it sitting in the corner collecting dust.
Thanks for all the help guys.

UG NX3/NX4/NX6
Vericut 5/6/7
AutoCAD LT

Wow, I had bad typo...
Should read..."I was just going to post he doesn't have it in nx6."

Yes, there are some very nice changes in 7, 7.5 and 8. I am anxious to use 8 as well.

NX 7.5

I agree - if you do not want to slow down your interractive session, set the max processes to one less than your total cores.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

RG006:
Do you ONLY have 4Gb in total in Windows 7 64 bit ?
Then i would suggest that your tests with multiple sessions the limiting factor is the RAM, not the CPU or GPU.
You are waiting for the computer to swap internal memory to disk.
I think that Siemens recommends 8 Gb for Windows 7 64 bit as minimum. (?)

Check the task manager and look up the "ugraf.exe" in the "processes" view and note how much memory it has allocated.

Regards,
Tomas

Hello Toost,
The most I have ever got my RAM usage up to is 73% with 6 sessions of NX running, veritcut running, and about 10 ie windows open (just for fun). Right now, I have two assemblies (each has about 6-10 piece parts), and about 5 other parts open and my RAM usage is getting up to about 2.2GB (49%) right now.

I do plan on upgrading the RAM sometime as needed, but right now I am just testing to see what kind of performance I can get out of the box. I plan on getting it to 8GB of RAM in the future.

Thanks for the information,

UG NX3/NX4/NX6
Vericut 5/6/7
AutoCAD LT

Toost,
I forgot to say that the memory allocation for one session of NX6 with an assembly that has 15 piece parts is 232MB.
Thanks,

UG NX3/NX4/NX6
Vericut 5/6/7
AutoCAD LT

By the way...
Currently our cnc programmers' computers have 12GB of ram. On our average projects we are seeing 4-6GB ram usage but our larger parts are using 6-8GB and recently I had a certain operation max my ram. I assume it maxxed then ran out of virtual memory because the result was not expected. That particular operation was z-level profile using a reference tool and the part model was fairly large. Those crunch fairly hard and perhaps I should've separated that cut into two operations.

NX 7.5

So a lot of this discussion has been on multiple cores. How does NX utilize more than one processor? We, my company, have NX7 and have workstations that run Intel Xeon W3550 (quad-core 3.06 GHz with hyper-threading) or 2xIntel Xeon E5506 (quad-core 2.13GHz no hyper-threading) and I was wondering which would be a better setup all other things the same (win7 64-bit, 16gb ram, quadro 600)?

Thanks

First things first, turn OFF hyper-threading.

Being that any single session of NX can only utilize a maximum of four cores (except for NX Nastran, can do much better), unless you're going to be running other compute intenseive applications simultaneously with NX, I'd opt for the first configuration.

But in the end, if you have access to both systems, run some tests of your own.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

This information seems similar to what has been posted here for the past few years. I don't know why this has not posted yet, but our IT dept an update a week or two ago (NX7.5.4.4), and I am using two and four cores, OUTSIDE the parasolid kernel (blends, shell, offset - heck seems like everything is lighting up the Task Manager).
This is no fluke, because the file I am working in took about an hour or more to update in March. Now, minutes (haven't clocked it). I guess I am wondering why this has occurred without a whisper from anybody. It was brought in with a GM update that "got rid of the cat" (GM contractor's know what I mean).
I have run SMP for years on several machines, with several config's with about the same performance boost (not much, but better than a sharp stick in the eye). Some config'ed by the same IT guy that did this one; he did nothing remarkably different. Any ideas?

Updates can take a painfully long time if settings are not specified correctly. IMO, that is probably more the case than the user's computer getting switched out with some kind of learning, neural net, self-aware, sky-net computing device.

I'm not sayin...just sayin, LOL.

NX 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back