Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crack Growth reference 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathlete7

Aerospace
Sep 13, 2008
US
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a textbook on the topic of crack growth. Sort of a Bruhn or Niu equivalent in the crack growth field. Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Download AFGROW for free from and use the User's Guide. Other than that, here's another free "book" which has several references in the back:

Is there something in particular that you are looking to study because some books are stronger on the analytical side, others on the theory, some on FEA, etc.

You may also want to check Franc2D and Franc3D, which I believe are managed by the University of Kansas.

Thanks Gbor. The references you gave me are adequate for my purposes. I'm not looking to get too deep into the analytical side right now, more just basic overview level so free and generalized is perfect!

Thanks again...

Do you want to study crack growth or damage tolerance in general? I'm going to assume the broader topic of damage tolerance is what you are interested in.

I recently worked my way through the USAF Damage Tolerant Design Handbook (DTDH). I'd say it is very thorough but also repetitious and reads like the USAF wrote it. This would probably be considered the classic reference on the subject. There are several different editions, a link to the latest is found below. I strongly recommend it but understand it might not be the ideal launch pad.

Schijve, J. "Fatigue of Structures and Materials" is also a very good book. I'd say this is probably what you are looking for.

Stephens, R. "Metal Fatigue in Engineering" is a good book in many ways as well but dwells more on the micro stuff.

http://www.afgrow.net/applications/DTDHandbook/sections/page1_0.aspx
Broek: "Practical Use of Fracture Mechanics" is a very good on the practical side of FM and has good introduction to Damage Tolerance analysis. The book is available in softcover.

Regards

Andries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back