Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cracked CMU Block Repair 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWHA

Structural
Jan 31, 2007
US
Does anyone know a good method to repair cracked masonary blocks. I have a situation where I have a block wall that has a almost completely vertical crack, crack goes through mortar joints and through the blocks themselves. The joints can be tuckpointed, but I am not sure the best approach to repairing the cracked concrete block itself. See attached picture.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with a2mfk...the foundation wouldn't necessarily show any distress from settlement, but the wall would.

Further photos imply other than settlement, but would be good to find actual cause. As Mike noted, water intrusion appears to be an issue, so seal it, even if it looks awful for a while.

Ok. I have had a chance to look at the design drawings. Control Joints are at 48’ spacing. Vertical Cores reinforced at 4’ cts with a #5 bars, grouted solid. Horizontal truss type reinforcing at 16” cts. There is a CMU beam with a total of 8 - #6 bars (Beam is 3 courses, 24” tall) directly above the door jamb.

"There is a CMU beam with a total of 8 - #6 bars (Beam is 3 courses, 24" tall) directly above the door jamb."

That outta hold 'er!!

I wonder what that is about, and if it was built that way. That is not a continuous bond beam, that is just the lintel huh? Something like a mezzanine beam or joist girder in that area? If it was built that way, I guess local deflection of that lintel may be ruled out :)

A2mfk

Sorry I did not elaborate. It is a continuous bond beam around the entire structure. It is not just a lintel.

Ahaaaa... That sheds some light on the crack over the door, but isn't anyone else surprised by the vertical crack in the first picture by the downspout, through 3 bond beams with 8 #6 bars??

DWHA:

Did you verify IN THE FIELD that the bond beam is actually there? It may have been placed for a future mezzanine that was never built, or may have been eliminated if the mezzanine was eliminated.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

I did not field verify that the bond beam is actually there. This info was taken from the as-built drawings though.

The crack pattern throws considerable doubt as to the presence of a continuous 3 course bond beam reinforced with 8-#6 above the door head. It would not have been easy to get that much reinforcement into an 8" x 24" CMU beam. Or perhaps it is 10" x 24"?

The bottom course of the bond beam appears to be less than 8", so the beam height is probably closer to 22" than 24".

BA

Control joints at 48 feet is a littttttttttttttle far. Usually they are in the neighborhood of 25 feet, plus or minus. This could be the major reason the the cracking seen.

As for the (8) #6 in the 24" bond beam, it is probably there considering the crack pattern seen at the doorway in your photos - they are much tighter together and spread out in the vicinity of the beam, which would be understandable.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

In thinking about this more, BA was initially coirrect in his assertion of the problem being temperature related, not settlement.

What is happening is that the 24" deep bond beam is constraining the cracking just above the door jamb, making it appear that it is settlement related with the varying crack width.

The problem is temperature related, not settlement. I'm sure of that now.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

I can't see the difference in crack pattern, Mike, and doubt that all that reinforcement is there. The 'control joints' are not working, probably just stacked joints, but no actual break in the wall.

Don't forget, I saw a step crack, i saw a step crack! (second pic)

If I was writing this up I would say that "Settlement is a potential contributing factor to the cracking observed in the CMU walls, but the main contributing cause is likely expansive/shrinkage movements within the CMU walls and a lack of properly placed expansion joints."

That'll be one beer if you use it, uhmmm, Hoegaarden will do.

And I would still do the other stuff I said above, call me conservative but I am not a fan of those cracks. And I'd add expansion joints and filled cells to each side of them, at least where the wall already cracked.

a2mfk,
Settlement is not the only reason for stepped cracks. Diagonal cracking at ends of walls is also a typical type of restraint shrinkage cracking. The footing/stem wall restains the wall at its base, and the body of the wall shrinks up and away from the end.

Agreed Hokie. But since all foundations settle to some degree, its hard to eliminate it as a contributing factor, even if very minor. But I would also agree the vertical crack above it would also suggest shrinkage.

Doesn't really change the outcome or repair recommendations, just trained now as a forensic engineer where you have to cover every base in your reports because of possible legal proceedings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back