Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cracked stiffness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pIwhabl

Structural
Sep 11, 2024
CN
Hi guys, I have a question that I wish you can share your opinions.

I have a core wall that looks like this (see below plan view) with two side walls. I have modeled it in FEA package and the bending moment along the core wall is a lot smaller compared to a cantilever model. I believe it is due to the outrigger effect from the side walls.
My question is would you crack the slab completely to ignore the contribution from this outrigger effect? I find it not a cost-effective way to do so I am thinking about say 0.25Ig for the slab alone (if I walls are 0.25Ig that will be basically the same as the uncracked model).
What do you think?

core_j2nsjp.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a subject matter expert, but what property is assigned to the slab. Is it designated as rigid or semi-rigid? This normally affects the forces in the diaphragm

What code are you designing for?

For ACI - you can either use the approximate factors (0.25Ig for the slab - as you noted) or actually analyze the degree of cracking using nonlinear modeling or by calculating the degree of cracking yourself and applying a modifier that way (likely with iteration, similar to how the nonlinear modeling would do it)

Understand what you are getting at but the diaphragm effect is very minor in this case.

I am designing to Australian code, which has similar approximate factors. But what I am getting at is not really about the value but more of a design methodology. ie Would you consider 0Ig for the slab to ignore the outrigger effect so that the bending moment of the core matches the cantilever model?

I'd also be destiffening the walls for out of plane moments (e.g 0.1)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

That is bending moment of plate you're talking about I guess. 0,25 should IMO be a reasonable guess for the lowest expected stiffness, but you could check that by simple analysis of a completely cracked plate.
The question for me is how certain are you that during an earthquake (if it's of concern) this plate will stay "elastic".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back