Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cracks in corner of building slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw

Structural
May 30, 2001
US
Recently poured slab for a 2 story metal building has developed diagonal cracks in each corners. The cracks are in the slab only, the grade beam had poured several weeks ago. Each corner had embedded anchor bolts (in grade beam/foundation). Not a crack pattern that I have seen that I remember. Possibly due to restraint from embedded anchor bolts. There is 4x4 4 gauge mesh in slab and cracks are tight but owner is worried. I have to pull out my form letter that says concrete cracks but am I missing something?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably due to slab curling as the corner is restrained from uplift by the anchor bolts.
May also be due to shrinkage from the same restraint.

No hairpins. Anchor bolts are embedded in grade beam/pedestal (with rebar).

Slab is roughly 80x90 and so far no other cracks in slab, though I expect there to be some. These showed up quickly.

The metal building has a second floor and there is not a lot of lateral force at column bases.

I concur about the comment on the mix design. That really looks like a pasty mix. I don't like the color or the texture at the top.

They added water to the mix, while it was in the truck would be my guess.. It started to kick some, and the added water for workability.

Concrete contractor will never admit to it though :p

Anyway, just my assumptions based on the photo... And yes, stress reversal at the corners of a square pad due to shrinkage.

If we made our slabs on grade oval, this would be so bad.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back