Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crane Beam 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CScottFlanagan

Structural
Jun 26, 2002
US
I'm extending an existing 7-1/2 ton monorail beam. The beam is a "patented" welded plate beam spanning 28' between supports. The existing beam measures 18.75" tall, with a 5/8"x10" wide top flange, a 7/8" x 3 1/4" wide bottom flange, and a 5/16" thick web.

The supplier wants an arm and a leg for this beam and the hangers. Does anyone know a source for this member near southwest North Carolina? I have to match the bottom flange to keep the trolley running smoothley, but the other dimensions are variable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have designed many overhead cranes and runways. My master’s degree thesis was about the subject of overhead crane and runway design.

Well my friend, I think the system you are describing is a proprietary track system. If it is what I think it is, it is a hybrid I-shape meaning the flanges and web have different yield strength.

Before you make the beam, make sure that you are not infringing on copy rights or anything of the sort.

I have many overhead crane reference data. Let me know if you need more help.

Very few options. Even though the patent on this (upper flange & most of web is A36, bottom flange and lower web is a high strength, wear resistant steel) probably expired about 50 years ago, don’t even consider making your own (unless your company has huge capabilities).
I bought patent rail in 1997 for a bridge crane. Only found 3 suppliers: Cleveland Tramrail, TC/American and Trambeam. Paid for flatbed trailer transportation from Alabama to California, but the vendor (Trambeam) did have a discount rate hauler.

It looks like the same supplier cartel exists at present:
Cleveland Tramrail [maybe your original supplier?]

Not much info online.
Burnett Equipment seems to be direct Trambeam’s representative. Not much info.
Has a Heavy Rail chart which I believe lists Trambeam rails.
A similar rail to yours is 18 1/8” tall, with 10” wide top flange, 11/16” thick bottom flange. Might work if your trolley has sufficient wheelbase. Get a beam load table from Trambeam.

Their 325 Series Rail only has a 7/16” thick bottom flange, too thin for you. Possibly, your trolley could work with their 4” wide, 17/32” thick bottom flange (still rather thin).

Other possibilities include used equipment dealers and steel scrap yards: E.g., in Texas has some 24” deep x 10” top flange patent rail. Says 5-Ton, but maybe that’s for 45 ft span.

Re hangers (presume threaded rods and ends): If you don’t buy from the dealer, make sure to over-engineer anything you do on your own.

kenvlach , What an excellent input and good information. I agree with you 100%. I added a star by your name.

By the way, I happen to one of the few lucky people and own a copy of the Whiting Crane Handbook. They have been out of print for years. I am not sure they are going to print a new one. Do you know anything about this?

Lutfi

Thanks Lutfi,
I have nowhere near your experience; did some civil & structural engineering after my company bought most of a bridge crane at an auction. Excavated a containment pit and raised the support columns on piers to get sufficient clearance for handling 6' tall parts in/out of 6.5' deep electropolishing tank in a rather short building.

Re Whiting Crane Handbook. A used books search found
Whiting Crane Handbook, 3rd edn., [full title: Whiting, Crane Handbook. Design Data and Engineering Information used in the Manufacture and Application of Cranes.] 208pgs., Greiner, H. G., Whiting Corporation 1967.
The Burnett Equipment website says
"Trambeam components are interchangeable with Cleveland Tramrail, TC/American and Spanmaster.
Formerly 'Whiting Trambeam.'"
So, perhaps Whiting (Whiting Corporation, Harvey, Ill) was merged into Trambeam. Ask the folks at Burnett and Trambeam.

Thanks for the information. I never intended to make my own crane beam, I just needed some additional sources for the beam. Sounds like there is a bit of a supplier monopoly on this!
The Whiting Crane book is a good resource. I have one as well.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back