Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crane clearance power lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie1a

Electrical
Apr 18, 2008
US
In looking at the osha std 1925.550(a)(15)(i), min clearance 10 ft power line. See 1910.333(c)(3)(iii)(A) I have the same 10 ft clearance, but in this case it spells out the clearance is needed if energized and exposed ie bare wire. It futhers states to provide insulation if you need to get closer than 10 ft. My question concerns our over head distribution, we use insulated cables run on a messenger with lashing. One camp is saying 10ft based on 1925.550, the other camp is saying the 10ft rule goes out the window because the line is insulate and cites 1910.333.

I;m looking for opinion, thought or any helpful links that will help us in our debate on how we treat insulated "feeders".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10' and that is for relatively low voltage line. Higher voltages mean more distance or insultation.

Get the local power company to come and insulate them ANYWAY!!!!!!! Don't run the risk!!!!!!!!!!

AND call OSHA before you get fined!!!!

10' no matter what the insulation specs are. Incidental contact is possible with the 10' rule on insulated wires, and I have seen excavators rub against wires which were supposedly insulated and cause an explosion.

FWIW, OSHA considers contact with overhead power lines the number one workplace electrical safety concern, based on the number of incidents. So don't expect them to cut you any slack.

I second the suggestion to work closely with the local power company.

"Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works... and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back