Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

crane load testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpjones

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
Can anyone tell me where in the ANSI codes it says that I must annually load test my cranes? We are paying a fortune for testing that is not required and I need some ammunition to get it stopped. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

asdf, the OSHA standard 1910.179 requires frequent and periodic inspections. The section that talks about inspections does not mention load testing at all. The testing section (k) requires the 125% rated load test prior to initial use or after the crane has been altered and does not say anything at all about annual load testing.

You are quite correct. Neither OSHA or ANSI/ASME standards require annual load testing of overhead cranes used in general industry. Load testing is only required for new cranes and those which have been extensively repaired or altered. The term "extensively repaired" can be open to interpretation, however normal maintenance activities would not be included (such as wire rope replacement). It is also interesting to note that current OSHA standards (1910.179) now allow load testing (when required) at 100 percent of capacity in lieu of the old 125 percent figure.

There is a letter of interpretation from ANSI/ASME that does discuss this issue (ANSI/ASME B30.2). It was included in one of the older issues of that standard (or perhaps one of the addedums). In that letter, they state quite clearly that such annual load testing is not required.

bump,

Just to add my two cents worth, some companies & organizations mandate annual testing. It is ususally included as part of an overall safety program.

See the following for the NREL program:

Also see the website for the "Crane Institute"..

The argument that they make is that a record of an annual load test is a reasonable and prudent measure in case of any possible future accident. Having certified records of a recent load test is a strong defense for the defense against a lawsuit. It's a good idea....

Good Luck

MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back