Crane Railhead Corner Radius vs. Wheel Tread Flange Fillet Radius

Status
Not open for further replies.

msii

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2017
AU
Hi All,
I am working on a crane that will be used in Australia and I thought that people working in the railway or crane industry may be able to assist me.

According to the Australian standard AS 5228.1-2021 (Table 101) and AS 1418.1-2002 (Table 7.20.3.6), the fillet radius between the tread and flange of the wheel should not be less than the railhead radius. However, when I looked at wheel manufacturers and some articles, I found that the fillet radius between the tread and flange of the wheel is usually smaller than the railhead radius. My understanding is that if the corner of the railhead is sharper than the wheel tread/flange fillet, it can cause too much wear. I understand there might be a concern regarding the derailment of the wheel if the railhead corner radius is excessive but not convinced. Does anyone have any clues why the Australian standard mentions this? I looked at ASME B30.2 and CMMA 70, but I couldn't find any reference to this issue.

Thanks a lot

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=971f01d2-c30e-4fd7-918e-ad5742cc3629&file=2023-04-20_10_16_30-Karl-Georg-Crane-Wheels_-_PDF-XChange_Editor.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say that the reason is the standard was written by people who collectively do not understand:

Rail-to-wheel contact
Geometry
The English language

AS 1418:1-2002 said:
the fillet radius between the tread and flange of the wheel should not be less than the railhead radius.

Let's turn that into a more direct, active statement.

" the fillet radius between the tread and flange of the wheel should not be less must be greater than the railhead radius."

That mandates this, which is clearly wrong.

crane_wheel_h6fhis.png

Hi Mint,
Thanks for your response. Do you know European or US standard that refers to this issue? I cannot find any particular one in this regard.
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back