Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crane runway column and base plate design 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfhaider

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2002
US
does any one know how to design column for a free standing runway as well as column design for braced runways. How do you size the base paltes for the crane columns. What are references available . Any book on this design issue
Appreciate help from all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sfhaider,

Merry christmas...glad i'm not the only one stuck at work today!!!!

AISC has published a series of design guides:
1. Steel Design Guide Series 7: Industrial Buildings
2. Steel Design Guide 1: Column Base Plates

The copies I have are dated 1993 and address steel design issues regarding cranes. They are each 100 page or so paperbacks.

However, another publication that proved INCREDIBLY helpful for the last military facility that I designed that was a steel frame with a crane was:

"Guide for the Design and Construction of Mill Buildings" - AISE Technical Report No. 13. This guide walks you through the entire design process and helped me on my first crane design. About a 60 page paperback with the publication date of June 1997.

Good luck!

I designed many overhead cranes. I must say that I never designed a simple column (stand alone) by itself. The most widely used system is a vertical column and a brace to the outside with diagonal bracing between them. The bays between the columns can be braced using X-bracing or tension bracing. The tension bracing will resist the longitudinal loads from the crane and wind.

I have the reverences that the clipper cites and they are excellent sources. Get your self a copy of them.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back