Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crane Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelPE

Structural
Mar 9, 2006
US
I have a building I am designing with a small bridge crane inside. We are being asked to provide a detail for the end stops of the crane. The crane manufacturer has provided the force that needs to be resisted of 3,000 lbf (not exactly sure about the height.... but it looks to be applied 7" above the top of the girder). I was just considering CJP welding a nice W8x31 to the end of the runway girder. Do end stops usually get welded to the crane girders? Seems like most of the details I have seen show them being bolted to the crane girder.

In my career I have designed plenty of crane girders, but have never been asked to look at the stops at each end. We usually indicate on the design drawings that the stops are to be designed by the crane manufacturer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ours were bolted so that when they got bent in a crash they could be replaced.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

True . Moreover, the stops should normally provided with a bumper . Wood bumper blocks were used in old cranes .Nowadays , rubber and in case of small bridge crane spring bumper .

Pls look AISC Design Guide 7_ Industrial Buildings Roofs to Anchor Rods.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

HTURKAK said:
Pls look AISC Design Guide 7_ Industrial Buildings

I have this book and have used it quite a bit over the years. The copy I have doesn't have much in regards to the design of the stops. Maybe a few paragraphs about what the design force should be. The detail located in the DG is bolted as well.

Bumper is generally provided by the crane supplier, often mounted to the crane. Have seen it both ways, but more commonly stops are done by the EOR in my neck of the wood. Field welded on site isn't atypical, but if you have all the details from the crane bolted is a good way to go. Bolted is often done if there is any chance of expansion in the future as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back