Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crash course(s) in Chemical Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacelySprokets

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2009
US
Hello to All!
I am looking for textbooks, short courses, or other means to learn the fundamentals of Chemical Engineering [without going back to University].

As a mechanical engineer, I have found my niche to be fluid mechanics, thermo, and heat transfer. However, I often need to push the limits of traditional coverage of the topics listed above. As such, I am looking for those fundamental textbooks, and hand books that can get me up to speed with the Chemical Engineering fundamentals.

If you have any suggestions, please advise. Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good start is the Chemical Engineers Handbook, originally by Perry and still known to chemical engineers simply as "Perry". It covers most of chemical engineering quite thoroughly and gives lots of references if there are areas you want to dig into more deeply. Another excellent resource is the Chemical Engineering series, originally by Coulson and Richardson, with contributions by Backhurst, Harker and Sinnott in the newer editions.

Katmar Software - Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

If I wanted examples of how to solve chemical engineering problems I would get a version of the Chemical Engineering PE exam study guide. There are lots of solved chemical engineering problems in there.

Perry's has lots of information in it, but it is almost impossible to use just Perry's to solve chemical engineering problems.

Regards
StoneCold

There has always been a course titled something like "Chemical Engineering for non-Chemical Engineers". Google it.

Good luck,
Latexman

In addition to Perry's, I would suggest developing a strong familiarity with GPSA Handbook, Volumes 1 and 2.

That said, I don't think that there is a crash course that will ever give you the same academic training in reaction theory, unit operations and so forth that would enable you to be a true "chemical engineer" in any shorter time frame than the extra couple of years in university. I know a couple of people that have made the migration from one field to the other (one in each direction), but it's not an easy transition in either direction.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back