Crash Test Query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sriddle

Automotive
Jul 9, 2024
NZ
Hi all

I am currently designing an aluminum frame for the rear of a truck bed.

Truck_Bed_opku9a.jpg

The frame will be load bearing and have a dynamic rating of 150kg. I have been asked to perform some 'crash testing' on the frame prototype. This requires a certain amount of force to be exerted on the assembly in a horizontal direction. See example here of a roof rack test performed on a track (
I do not have access to a track or testing facility so was wondering if there is a good way to perform a bench test via pulling on the assembly using a winch or similar device.

What sort of calculations would you recommend to determine the correct load or force? The testing standard ISO11154 states that the load has a force of 8g applied to it and is tested to 1.5 times the stated capacity.

ISO11154_v7bjdk.jpg

Sorry if this is a tad vague, as you can probably tell I am not a structural engineer, merely a lowly CAD monkey! :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have much bigger issues than structural mounting and cargo securement. You removed body structure so need to retest and meet side/rear impact and fuel tank protection, and if you also changed the filler or its location/angle there's also evaporative emissions and nozzle testing.

Given the posts above, I'd walk away from this project asap and find an employer who cares about your finances and freedom bc your current one obviously cares about neither.

"You have much bigger issues than structural mounting and cargo securement. You removed body structure so need to retest and meet side-impact and fuel tank protection, and if you also changed the filler or its location there's also evaporative emissions and nozzle testing.

Given the posts above, I'd walk away from this project asap and find an employer who cares about your finances and freedom bc your current one obviously cares about neither."

? that's a chassis cab straight off the production line, at a guess.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

At least in the NA market it doesnt matter bc neither factory chassis-cab nor customer trucks with the beds removed are fully certified. Bodybuilders are expected to do the requisite analysis and testing to prove that the complete vehicle meets all regulatory requirements regardless of the starting point, same as the OEs. Bubba still gets away with cobbling his own uncertified flatbed, but manufacturers dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back