Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crash Test Regulations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStiller

Aerospace
Sep 20, 2007
US
I've been going through the CFR to check the regulations that will apply to the vehicle my company is building, and a significant part of that is 571.208 (i.e. Occupant Crash Protection). I have been endlessly confused to the point of despair by Section 4.7 of this standard however, which reads:

"S4.7 Incorporation by reference. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Recommended Practice J211/1 rev. Mar 95, "Instrumentation for Impact Test - Part 1 - Electronic Instrumentation," (SAE J211/1 rev. Mar 95) is incorporated by reference in sections S4.13, S6.6, S13.1, S15.3.6, S19.4.4, S21.5.5, S23.5.5, and S25.4, Department of Defense MIL-S-13192P, 1988, "Military Specification, Shoes, Men's, Dress, Oxford", Amendment 1, October 14, 1994,(MIL-S-13192P) is incorporated by reference in section S8.1.8 and Department of Defense MIL-S-21711E, 1982, "Military Specification, Shoes, Women's" , Amendment 2, October 14, 1994 (MIL-S-21711E) is incorporated by reference in section S16.2.5, and are thereby made part of this standard. The Director of the Federal Register approved the material incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552 (a) and 1 CFR Part 51...."

So, if you read through this, what in the name of all that is holy is a DoD regulation for dress shoes doing in the crash standards? I called the National Archives and Records Administration in D.C., and they laughed and said they had no idea, but that since it's in the CFR, we need to follow it...help!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

S8.1.8.2 Each test dummy is clothed in a form fitting cotton stretch short sleeve shirt with above-the-elbow sleeves and above-the-knee length pants. The weight of the shirt or pants shall not exceed 0.25 pounds each. Each foot of the test dummy is equipped with a size 11XW shoe which meets the configuration size, sole, and heel thickness specifications of MIL-S-13192 change “P” and whose weight is 1.25 ±0.2 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back