Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crashing while editing drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsasdad

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2001
US
Having a problem with SolidWorks crashing while editing a drawing. Most of the crashes occur when dealing with balloons (deleting or moving). I've lost nine hours in the past two days.

System Configuration

Wildcat II 5000 video card
driver version 5.4.0.15

Dual Intel Xeon 1.8 GHz processors
1 Gb of RAM

Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195
Service Pack 2

SolidWorks 2004
SP 2.1

Assembly Statistics

429 Components
367 Parts
187 Unique Parts
62 Sub-Asemblies
42 Unique Sub-Assemblies
142 Top Level Components
Max. Depth 6

I am planning to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM and I also plan on upgrading the video card. Looking for advice on which cards are performing well with SolidWorks 2004.

Is anyone else having problems like this in drawings?

Thanks,

Alexsasdad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forgot to mention that I use a batch file to clen out the temp directory upon startup and I shut my computer down every evening.

Thanks

Wildcat II 5000 video card
driver version 5.4.0.15

Personally I don't like the Wildcats. I spent more time crashing and BSODing then I did working.

Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195
Service Pack 2

You need to be using Service pack 4 -
SolidWorks 2004
SP 2.1

Try SP 3.0

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

We were having this problem in drawings and have approved video cards and drivers. Here is what helped:

1. Go to System Options/Drawings and uncheck "Detail item snapping while dragging corner" and "Detail item snapping while dragging center". These are the settings that add the dotted inference lines to other notes, etc. while moving annotations. Turning these off solved a lot, but not all, of our crashing.

2. Update SWx to SP3. Since we did, I have not seen the crashing due to balloons

Updated windows 2000, Solidworks and installed the latest certified driver for my video card and still was crashing. Changed my settings per MElam's tip and this fixed it. I still would like to know a good video card to use for large assemblies, 2000 to 5000 components.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Alexsasdad

2000 to 5000 part assembly - What are talking in terms of complexity??

Since I don't know the complexity I would say the Quadro FX 1100 to 2000. I have read recently that Nvidia is working on the Quadro FX 4000 which is suppose to out do the 3000. I'm interested in seeing that card work. That might be the card that helps those with complex large assemblies.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

We have wild cat vp560's and they are crap I have been trying to weedle some money out the company to get the suggested nvida cards to no availe so far.
since going to sp3 the system has been alot more stable
so that has helped .
we have done what melam suggested and it does help alot.
brett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back