Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a part copy without breaking WAVE links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNSZU

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2005
TW
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a work flow where I create different versions of the same part, by copying it and pasting it within the parent assembly, then renaming the new part with the "Make Unique" command to create a series of parts with different names, ie "A1", "A2" etc. Then I modify the new part by changing some of the features to create a new version of part. The problem is that the part contains linked associative WAVE geometry to another part within the same assembly, so when renaming the part, all the WAVE geometry links get broken. This means I have to go into the newly created part and re-link all the WAVE geometry.

Is there an easier way?

NX8.5 Win7SP1 64bit i7-3770K@4.3Ghz 16GB Quadro2000

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi, CNSZU
there are a workflows help you renaming parts in a assembly containing wave links.
1. assembly ->cloning -> edit existing assembly
2. an replace component workflow.
1. avi : 2. short description:
Open the entire assembly with all wave relations on in the load options containing the parts to rename.
From assembly nav (ANT) goto the part you want to rename, close this part from the ANT. Context of the closed part from the Ant choose replace.
From the dialog, activate the maintain relation option, From the file open button choose the closed part from directory and rename it in this dialog to yor needs, ok -ok...

uwam2ie, I don't understand your explanation, can you be more detailed? And that video is in German...

This is what I have:

A_ASSY
A1 (contains WAVE link to PCB)​
PCB​

This is what I want to achieve:

A_ASSY
A1​
A2​
PCB​

I want to duplicate A1 to create A2, and maintain the WAVE links to PCB (without breaking them).

I've figured it out, use the command "copy component as" in WAVE mode (right click component in ANT).

Hello,
Don't get me wrong I like NX much more than ProE but I've lond wanted to be able to "rename" a component in an assemble. Let say I have a dozen of the same components assembled in an assembly, I'd like to be able to rename just one of them without affecting the rest & maintaining assembly constraints. I didn't fully understand this thread. We're you guys able to do this?

thanks,
James, NX7.5

jkcone, the problem I got solved was the issue of creating a unique duplicate of a component. The only way I can think of renaming a component would be to make the component the work part, then use the command "save as" and enter a new name. However, this does not actually rename the component, it simply creates another component with the new name and replaces the old one.

Thanks CNSZU for the response.
The problem I have with the "save as" function in this situation is it changes the file name of every instance of the component in the assembly. I'm looking to change the file name of just one.

Forgive me but I don't understand what you mean by "creating a unique duplicate of a component". Can you explain?

thanks,
James
NX7.5

Initially I thought Make Unique was rubbish because it broke my WAVE links, but later found out that the links need to be made "position independent" first. Now the Make Unique command works nicely, and would also apply to jkcone's case.

The more stuff they bring over from I-Deas the better NX gets. Just joking. This was very nice in I-Deas. The only bad thing in I-Deas was when make unique first done it did not bring the drawing associated with the part. I think it does now after we are out of I-Deas. Can you keep the drawing attached using this command in NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back